Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week 9: Marijuana (ie, BC bliss)

Pollan, Michael. 2002. The Botany of Desire. Random House, Inc., New York; p. 113-179.

Reading between the lines is important - you can then understand the hidden (or not so hidden) messages in words such as 'intoxication' (Pollan, 114) or 'therapist'.

Personally, I cannot understand Pollan's relation between poison and desire.  Coming from a small town where essentially anything goes, many a Friday night has gone by where my neighbourhood was silently smothered by the scent on the breeze.  Knowing its 'forbidden' status does not make me want to pursue it - in fact having to be exposed to it irritates me to no end - I can't understand why anyone one would desire it.

Knowing the context of this week's reading, I'm sure you can all guess what is in the back of the RCMP truck (the worst part of this was that it was parked in front of the church...).





Furthermore, this chapter just destroyed fairytales for me (thanks a lot Pollan).  This is one situation in which I believe that ignorance may have been bliss, and it put a whole new perspective on the saying "flying high",  but really, witches had special 'flying penis's' of their own kind (Pollan 119).

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. God.

    Do you mean to say that there was a grow-op in a CHURCH?!? Wow, you really live in a small town!!

    So... if there is pot at church, what's there at the bar?

    (Just kidding).


    But seriously, did anyone help themselves to some of that BC bud? I'm sure you could've snuck up upon the truck from behind... they wouldn't miss a little bit, judging by how overflowing the back of it is. Or, perhaps collected any leaves that blew off the truck as it drove thoughout town.....

    ReplyDelete