Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week 5 - 'Omnivore's Dilemma'

Pollan, Michael. 2006. The Omnivore's Dilemma. Penguin Group, New York; p. 15-119.


Oh my gawd.......




with these guys I don't think the question: "What am I eating?" will ever be truly answered (Pollan, 17).




Mcnugget = corn  Hmmm, I can't really see it, but I can believe it based upon reading food labels of processed foods. What does bother me a lot (because I really love them) is why would you feed fish with corn?  No matter how I look at it, fish would never find corn in their natural environment.  Processed foods aside, the idea of corn fed fish really bothers me for some reason - thank goodness I usually catch my own fish.


After all, just like flamingos - you are what you eat...


  














My overall question from this is - is this such a bad thing?  Sure its enlightening to read, and discover, what the food you eat every day really contains; but is the fact that corn is (in one form or another) essentially in everything?  I guess it would be if corn crops crashed - that is indeed a terrifying point to consider.


Not only the terror of corn production flat-lining, but the rationale describing why more and more corn is grown despite declining prices is astounding.  No matter how you look at, if you're losing 50% on 
     production (Pollan, 53), there is no way in hell that planting (and maintaining) more will help you break 
     even (the math won't lie, if you're growing more you'll just end up losing a larger total of 50%); you'll just 
     end up losing more and destroying your land!       
     
Slow down, slow down... the whiskey jug is passed around at... quilting bees? (Pollan, 100)
I don't know whether this has to do with anything else discussed, but I find it quite hilarious!





1 comment:

  1. *Snort*

    I loved your description and images -- great way to get your ideas across! I also liked how you expressed your feelings in your post - specifically your revulsion regarding corn-fed fish. Yuck!

    I would like to comment however on your narration regarding the odd logic of growing corn. Because from what I've read about farmers (American, albeit) is that corn is the only crop for which they actually DO make a profit upon and DO break even.... and that is due to the subsides by the American Government.

    Ok, I'm going on a tangent now... could we not argue that the US Government is paying companies to deal with the corn and turn it into everything and anything and nothing.... and then again pays for the health care of people who've eaten too much corn?

    Oh, no - scratch that. The citizens pay for their own health care. So... let's revamp this idea: the US government essentially pays the companies to use the corn, and then when people get ill for over-eating and expanding around the middle, the companies get to come in again and charge the citizens for their health care.

    Sure.... that makes absolute sense. The companies get rich and then rich again.... Wow, that sucks. I guess the US government doesn't really care much about its populace if they're treating them this way.

    ReplyDelete